Melting

 

Not much time to write today as I've been at work, a fairly blissful day in dappled shade hanging out with four year olds who can recognise a Red Admiral butterfly. A major contrast to the extreme heat last week and a big relief. In fact this post could have read simply: too hot, brain melted. If I hear one more commenter yapping about the summer of 1976 I may explode. Even with the curtains drawn, fans deployed, wet cloths draped on necks, it was really unpleasant in my house. My default would be to try and find shade in the garden, but with no breeze it was impossible. The sun is a deadly laser indeed... But more troubling than the physical discomfort was the grief of knowing that this is the reality of the climate crisis, that we will see more spikes of extreme heat in the UK, that in 50 years time we won't be talking about the heatwave of 2026 because it won't be remarkable. In the words of Radiohead "You do it to yourself, that's what really hurts".

A hard week, and one where it was difficult to find the positives.

Photo shows the sky from my hammock at the weekend, I have never been so grateful to see clouds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adventures in Metaphor

Space to Grow

Out After Dark