Notes on a Heatwave
In my daily morning pages I've noticed that it's become difficult to write about anything else but the continuing heatwave. Time spent closely observing the natural world is confronting. There have been various heatwave images and ideas bouncing around my brain over the last few weeks, so sitting in the quiet carriage on the train this morning, I brought these scraps together in a poem.
Notes on a Heatwave
My heart aches with noticing
Leaves curled and crumpled
Dry rust stained patches among tired green
My newsfeed serves me images of fields from the air
A dry expanse of sun-bleached stubble
Deep rooted oaks dark ink blots on parchment
Historic parterre palimpsest on yellowed National Trust lawns
On the continent rivers drop and reveal warships
Footpaths are trampled concrete hard
We have scratched the soil and made it dust
There is a drought of thought
We are too hot and cross to listen to farmers
Who speak in resigned voices
Just another item on a news bulletin
I gather seeds in delicate papery cases
Life in suspended animation
Living missives to the future
Dreams of rain continue
Photo shows some teasels in my garden. Since last week I have made jam, it was indeed hot and sticky, and the result was tasty but unlikely to win prizes at the WI. We had a brief shower of rain, but not enough to make a difference to the drought. Rain dreaming continues...

Comments
Post a Comment